Saturday, July 7, 2012

For the love of books

I am a wordy. There is no doubt about it. I love writing. Reading. Words. Story. Books.

Lately, I have taken to collecting those catchy sayings and sentiments that often appear on Facebook declaring a similar love of books.

Things like:

"I love walking into a bookstore. It's like all my friends are sitting on shelves, waving their pages at me." Tahareh Mafi

"Sometimes when I'm alone I like to sniff books." Source unknown

"Bookworms will rule the world - as soon as we finish one more chapter..." Harlequin.com

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers." Charles William Eliot (My personal fave.)

I have a stack more! I don't know why I have started collecting these - they sing to me somehow, warm my heart and reassure me that there are others who share my love of the written word and my belief in the power of story. 

When I was a Primary School Teacher, I always endeavoured not only to teach my students how to read, but also to guide them in taking their first steps on the path of becoming lifelong readers. 

Research and experience have told us that reading has many benefits, that it is important. Reading improves vocabulary, concentration, focus and memory. It develops active mental processes, and helps children to become engaged learners. It stimulates the imagination and reduces stress. It provdes a wonderful escape.

But wait! There's more.

Most importantly, reading allows us to explore what it means to be human. It allows us to walk in someone else's shoes for a while, to view the world through someone else's eyes. To experience what it is like to be courageous or weak; shy or alone; to be persecuted, misjudged, misguided; to be bullied or shunned. It allows us to develop empathy and understand many different realities. 

And in the words of CS Lewis: "We read to know we are not alone." 

Three cheers for the National Year of Reading. I love2read!

5 comments:

  1. A house without books is like a room without windows... It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Sue. How inspiring to collect and read these words, and be reminded how that heart-racing adoration for books is enjoyed by so many. It's overwhelming sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed, Tanya. We are certainly not alone though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love reading books but not the books of my syllabus , The books out of syllabus interesting and informative books . Retaining walls

    ReplyDelete